Newsvine - Popup Window

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Schneider National Orientation and Training for Thumper

My Diary


Expression
This is my diary (Will be updated throughout training/orientation period).


 02/22(Wed) Day 3 - A Challenge             
School started at 6:00 a.m. PST today, so it was an early start. We covered paper logs then went over to the training field, worked on the simulator, observed the pretrip demonstration in the engine compartment, covered hooking up and unhooking a trailor from the tractor (power unit). Then I went over to a truck and Craig walked me through several backing up exercises. In all honesty, I like their (Schneider's) backup method better than Roadmaster's (theirs was too limited). I also learned how to double shift up and down on the simulator. The simulator would be cool to have at home. I'd be able to always practice in it and the kids would get a bang at trying their hand at it.

Called Colleen and the kids and talked with her and Jesus. Juan was not feeling good and wasn't up to talking on the phone. I talked with Luna and Gidget and they definitely recognized my voice but didn't like the phone. Will have to get them a treat when I get back home.

In any case, I am not feeling well. I think I will turn in and get up early in the morning to do some studying before going into the Schneiter Training Academy in Fontana, CA. Until then, hope all is going well with you ... my family. I love and miss you all very much!


 02/21(Tues) Day 2 - PreWork Check           
Today was interesting. We filled out the required paperwork for hire and did the prework physical, which we had to pass in order to drive for Schneider National as we may have to unload trailors. I passed with flying colors. We received a Company Driver manual with a lot of useful information. It is interesting how much more information is in this book than the one I used at Roadmaster Drivers School in West Valley City, Utah. After the paper work was done, we were returned to the motel, where I called and talked with the family and chatted with Gabriel Tas Djinn via iChat. It was relaxing. I took a shower and then went to bed as I was very tired as I was at Schneider National in Fontana, CA at 6:00 a.m. this morning and I came in late last night on Greyhound Bus.


 02/20(Mon) Day 1 - Departed From Utah, Arrived in Ontario, California       
I was up early this morning, having slept well. This morning reminds me of when I initially left for the US Navy 14Jan1985. I was not giddy, nor depressed, but was calm, slightly detached. I felt some excitement as this was a new adventure, but a bit saddened that I would be separated from my wife, boys and my four legged kids. I got my family up and we got ready to take me to the Greyhound Bus Terminal in Salt Lake City, Utah. There was no hurry and we drove there in the Dodge van. We arrived there at 7:45 a.m. MST, checked in (had to pay $10 for my third bag. While waiting for the bus, Jesus became a bit aggressive, but I think this was due to the fact that I was leaving. Jesus just became silent. I told the boys that I loved them, which Colleen reiterated meant something, as I am not one to bandy this about lightly. Funny thing was, I meant it. I love these boys and am glad that they will be getting adopted June 21st of this year if all things work out well for us. By 8:20 a.m. MST I kissed my wife goodbye, gave her and the boys a final hug and boarded the bus (bus #6229). This bus would take me to Las Vegas, Nevada, where I would transfer to another bus to take me to Ontario, CA.

The bus ride was long, and I was able to finish two papers, half of my book and the movie Captain America.  While there was plenty of room from Salt Lake City, Utah to Las Vegas, Nevada, the bus from Las Vegas to California was crowded and very uncomfortable.  The big thrill was in watching a woman at the Las Vegas terminal rant and rave about how she was somebody making over $32/hour and new stars and was moaning to everyone and the Greyhound people about this and the fact that she had to wait until today to get her ticket changed to get on the bus. Due to her bothering all of the customers patiently waiting for their bus, and the fact that the ticket was not for the bus I was on, she was denied entry onto the bus. She eventually just threw the ticket at the security guy and stormed off out of the terminal.  There are times that I wish I had her alleged problem of having a job paying me $32/hour - that would make life so much easier.  Oh well, I think I will enjoy driving trucks, as I can still stay in touch with my family and I can do some studying to boot. I just need to get used to the truck and the driving.  So much to learn, but it is a start of another adventure.

I was able to call Colleen and Mom to let them know that I had arrived safely. Arrived late, but safe and sound.


Back to Top

No comments:

Post a Comment