Newsvine - Popup Window

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

14Nov2011-Fun Family Time After School

Today was nice in that Juan had school today, even though Jesus didn't. It allowed us some time to get some work done. Jesus enjoyed playing on the game cube (similar to a Wii but much older). After Juan came home, we had him finish his homework -- he needed a little help with his math, but after reminding him that when you add numbers with decimals you have to line up the decimals before you add the numbers, that way you keep the decimal in the right spot, he was able to finish his homework with 100% accuracy. The hard part is teaching him to write out the problems rather than trying to just do them in his head. This has helped me and so many of my prior students that I wanted to get him to do it too. Once he has mastered the basics then I will be able to teach him some of the short cuts you can do with math.

While Juan finished his homework we played 'Go Fish' with Jesus. This game helps him with his counting skills and his number recognition. He still needs reminders that the number '3' rather than '6' comes after '2' but he is making progress. The game was fun and I actually enjoyed myself, so did Colleen. It was bed time for Jesus after this, so after he was nicely tucked in, Juan and I played a game called 'Garbage' in which Juan beat me. He did a nice job and he like the way I was able to turn over my cards by using the card I picked up from the card pile, so he started doing it my way. It was a fun game, and one we will have to do again.

Juan brought home a permission slip for him to go skiing with his class. I sent the form back to school signed, but as he is in foster care at the moment and his other dues are paid for by the state, we asked that they pay for this trip too. I think he will have fun learning to ski, we just need to be sure that he actually dresses appropriately as he doesn't really like to bundle up in layers, even though it will keep him warm.

Was talking with Jennifer (my little sister) and my mother and this year we are going to do a traditional Christmas/Yule. We are going to set up a time to come over to our place to make homemade ornaments and tree decorations (like stringing popcorn and cranberries to put around the tree). This will be fun and I think the boys will enjoy it. We still need to find a good volunteer activity to do this year as we want to teach the boys that this is the time of giving not receiving (though getting presents is always nice). I was thinking about possibly donating time down at the homeless shelter as they always need help and it would give the boys something to consider as they are blessed with having a home and being in a safe place. Times may be tough but we need to be grateful for the things that we do have and the friends and family we can share things with. We still have details to work out, but we also got some gifts to finish making for everyone, and I think the boys will enjoy doing these with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment